Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Information about Mail


I wanted to make a small post about mail and the system here. When you first arrive at your apartment, unpack, then immediately take a piece of paper, pen, and scissors and go to your mailbox. If there is a name in the name slot of your mailbox that is not your own, take it out. Cut a slip of paper to fit the slot, write your name on the paper, and slide it in place. Your mail will not be delivered 95% of the time if you do not have your name on your mailbox. Why? I do not know. I did not know I had to do this, so most of my mail got sent back to the sender. This meant I did not get my matriculation number, my welcome packet, my internet code letter, my bank card, my pin for my bank card, and numerous other important documents. It was very sad. If you think your mail got sent back, go to the student secretary office or email the bank. They’ll tell you if it got sent back. 

I also received two packages while here. One had to be signed for, so I’d suggest that if whoever sends wants to pay for this option, make sure they authorize that roommates can sign for it, like my mom did, otherwise you won’t get it. If they don’t specify if someone must sign for it, then it will just be dropped outside your apartment door (not your room door). 

You may also encounter that you don't know the name of the street your apartment is on. I don't know what street I live on, but have just been using Wankheimer Täle 1 as the street name, then specifying which room I live in. My other friends have been doing that too. Because umlauts don't always translate when entering in addresses, Amazon or other sites might say your address doesn't exist. Simply remove the umlaut and it should work. At least it has so far for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment