Sunday, March 31, 2013

Courses and Selection


So the STARTkurs has ended and I have only one thing to say: I am so very sad. This was the first time since German 230 that I have walked into a German course and didn’t face constant fear that I would embarrass myself. This is partially due to the fact that since I’ve gotten here, I’ve embarrassed myself so many times that my tolerance is quite high, but also because the teachers for the course are super friendly, helpful, and welcoming.

The topics in the courses depend on which course you’re in, but all of them have discussed course selection. We also discussed this in the UMass orientation, which was in Freiburg (I will discuss that more in-depth in the next post). Below, I’ve listed how to register for courses as well as some helpful tips. I’ll add more as I figure it all out:

1. Find the courses online. You can google the university or you can go to the IPO page and find the Tübingen Program there. 

2. Switch it to English if you have no idea what it is saying.

3. “Title of Course” can also function partially as a keyword search. It is not perfect, but it is helpful if you’re looking for courses that discuss British novels or something like that.

4. Once you’ve found a course, you’ll have to figure out when registration is. It usually says it at the top of the course information page or at the bottom, below the description of the course. If it is already closed for registration (most courses are at this point), but there are still open seats, email the professor. Make sure to use the proper titles as the emails are more formal than in the US. Include your name, your year, your course of study, your student status, and which course you’re interested in. Also ask how you can earn a Schein if it is not specifically stated.

5. For German as a Second Language courses, you usually register in mid-April, a week before classes start. Just go to Wilhelmstraße 22 and you can get advice and register there.

6. For credits: UMass is super helpful with this because unlike other schools that just divide the German credits by two and give you those, UMass takes into account that an intensive course meeting 9 hours a week worth only 7 German credits is probably worth 5 or 6 US credits, not 3 to 4. 

7. Random Information: You can audit courses, just email the Professor and figure out how to get a certificate saying you audited, otherwise it won’t count. 


No comments:

Post a Comment